Girls Everywhere Meeting the Saviour
A club for girls in third through seventh grades
(or ages 7 to 13)
GEMS Club seeks to equip girls to live radically faithful lives–doing justice, loving mercy, and walking humbly with God. Our purpose statement comes from a verse in the Bible:
What does the Lord require of you but to do justice, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God? Micah 6:8
GEMS Counselors Needed:
Women (high school to adult) who have one or more of the following gifts….
- creating and organizing crafts
- leading Bible studies
- lots of energy and a good sense of humour
- brainstorming ideas of any and all kinds
- desire to make a difference in our community
- love for Jesus and for our GEMS girls
Contact the church office (email@example.com), if you are interested and need more information.
See what your GEMS were up to this year: GEMS 2013/2014 Video
When do we meet?
- With some exceptions, GEMS Club meets every other Thursday from September to May.
- We meet on the same nights as Cadets, our church’s club for boys in the same grades.
How do we work our purpose into our GEMS Club?
- With emphasis on knowing God’s Word for our day
- Learning skills and crafting in exploration of God’s gifting
- Learning about God’s world so we can be better caretakers of it
- Learning how to get along with one another
- Being “others focused”: Giving to various organizations–Ex: Seafarers’ Christmas Boxes; Esther House School, Zambia
Who can participate?
- Girls in grades 3 through 7; from within the congregation and/or from the Burnaby, New West neighbourhood.
- Counselors–adult women (one per small group)
- Assistant Counselors–adult women (one per small group)
- CITs (Counselors in Training)–high school girls (one per small group)
What does a GEMS Club Night look like?
6:50–We begin in our small groups working on badges, learning crafts and getting to know one another.
8:00–We gather for a snack.
8:15–We sing and focus on ending our day focusing on our great God.
8:30–Our evening together is over.
Do you observe any special nights?
- Throughout the year, we celebrate several holidays with a big party. The girls enjoy special holiday crafts, snacks and games.
Is there a fee?
- There is a non-refundable fee for the year.
- No new registrations are accepted after November.
Do we have to fundraise as a participating family?
- GEMS has an ongoing fundraiser in place. We collect bottles for return and put the money earned toward our church’s Honduras project in community development in rural villages. See the link here: http://www.nwcrc.ca/church-ministry/honduras/
- Families from our church also contribute bottles and sometimes the cash from their own bottle returns.
- We continue to fundraise for this project, sometimes adding a bake sale to our bottle return money.
- Our policy is to do as little other fundraising as possible–especially for ourselves.
For more information on the GEMS Girls Club click here!